Hello, today I’m sharing a recipe with you I discovered several years ago in 2007. This is Ina Garten’s recipe from her Barefoot Contessa cookbook, Roasted Eggplant Spread. If you are a fan of eggplant or if you have been curious to try it but did not know how to prepare it, this is an excellent recipe for you to try.
This recipe starts by roasting eggplant, bell pepper, onion, garlic, and spices. When the vegetables are oven-roasted, it brings out the full nutty flavor of the eggplant and the sweet flavor of the bell peppers. When blended all together it makes a thick and creamy spread that can be paired with a variety of things like; pita bread, naan, chips, crostini, or spread it your sandwiches. Add it to your crudités or serve it on top of chicken, lamb, or pork. This is a versatile spread that can be eaten warmed or chilled and can pair with almost any savory dish, it’s absolutely delicious!
Let’s get cooking…
Roasted Eggplant Spread
Oven-roasted eggplant and bell peppers, combined with tahini and lemon juice create a delicious and versatile spread.
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded
- 1 red onion, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley, plus extra for garnish
- Step 1 Preheat oven 400 degrees F
- Step 2 Cut the eggplant, bell pepper, and onion into 1-inch cubes. Toss them in a large bowl with the garlic, olive oil, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Spread them on a baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes, until the vegetables are lightly browned and soft, tossing once during cooking. Cool slightly.
- Step 3 Place the vegetables in a food processor fitted with a steel blade, add the lemon juice and tahini, and pulse 3 or 4 times to blend. Taste for salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl, add the chopped parsley, and garnish with the extra parsley.
I hope you give this recipe a try, I believe your tastebuds will be dancing!
All 4 One Home