If you haven’t noticed by now, I have a thing for lemons, all things lemon. Lemon decor, home fragrances, food, cocktails, and lemon desserts. My passion for lemons started in the year 2000 when my husband and I purchased our first home together in Huntington Beach, CA. We had the most beautiful Meyer lemon tree in our backyard, and it would produce the largest and sweetest lemons year-round. During certain times of the year, we would have so many lemons, I would call in my lemon-loving friends to help me harvest, and each of them would leave with multiple bags completely full.
Having an abundance of lemons all of the time, I needed to figure out what to do with them, because you can only make so much lemonade. I found a lemon bar recipe and unfortunately I cannot remember where I found it, but it soon became a favorite, and perhaps it’s because of the Meyer lemons. If you are not familiar with Meyer lemons, they are on the sweeter side, a little less tart, and they change the flavor profile just ever so slightly to make them my favorite lemon to use in all of my culinary recipes.
If for some reason you are unable to get yourself Meyer lemons, or they are no longer in season, you can substitute them with standard lemons, the bars will still be delicious!
Now let’s get baking!
G's Meyer Lemon Bars
- 2-1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (and extra for dusting)
- 1 cup soft butter (room temperature)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Step 1 Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Step 2 The crust:
- Step 3 In a medium bowl whisk together 2 cups of flour and 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.
- Step 4 Cut butter into flour/sugar mixture until crumbly.
- Step 5 Press into a greased 9″x13″ baking dish, bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Step 6 The Filling:
- Step 7 In a large mixing bowl whisk eggs, 2 cups sugar, lemon juice until frothy.
- Step 8 Whisk in remaining 1/4 cup flour and baking powder, pour mixture over crust, bake for 25 minutes.
- Step 9 Cool completely and sprinkle with a dusting of powdered sugar.
Remember, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade, make lemon bars!
Gretchen ~ All 4 One Home