Hello Friends! Today I’m happy to share a new cake recipe that is pumpkin spice, and everything nice. Once a year I use this beautiful autumn leaf cakelet pan from Nordic Ware, and each year I try to come up with something new to bake in it. If you have never tried using Nordic Ware cake pans, I highly recommend them. They are so well made, and I have never had anything stick to them. My cakes come out clean without any problems, every single time.
In our home, we love all things pumpkin; pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin empanadas, pumpkin lattes, you get the idea. This year I wanted to make a pumpkin spice cake, but not the standard cake that you see all over Pinterest. Something that is moist, flavorful, and still has the pumpkin spice flavor that we adore. So I decided to take a classic buttermilk cake recipe, add the pumpkin puree and spices to it, and holy moly it was a hit! This recipe is definitely a keeper! Not only does it make perfect cakelets, but it will also be amazing as a sheet cake, cupcakes, loaf, or you can even make pancakes out of this batter. For this recipe, I chose not to use any frosting or glaze, because I wanted to see how the cakelets would taste on their own. And they are perfect by themselves. We have been enjoying them for breakfast and dessert. They pair so well with a nice cup of coffee or tea.
If you’re a fan of frosting you can certainly add a cream cheese frosting or even a simple spice glaze to the cakelets, both of those would compliment it very nicely. Now let’s get cooking!
Buttermilk Pumpkin Spice Cakelets
Delicately moist pumpkin spice cakelets are a perfect treat for the autumn season.
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- Step 1 Arrange the rack to the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Brush the cakelet pan with melted butter.
- Step 2 Beat the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer for 5 minutes at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Scrape the bowl and beaters to incorporate well.
- Step 3 Beat in the canned pumpkin and vanilla extract.
- Step 4 Sift the flour and the next 6 ingredients together. Add a quarter of the flour mixture to the butter-egg mixture, then add a third of the buttermilk. Repeat, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and scraping well after each addition.
- Step 5 Use a small ice cream scoop to drop the batter into the prepared cakelet pans. Tap the pan on the counter to help spread the batter in the molds. (Be sure not to overfill the molds, you don’t want the cake to bake over and lose its shape.)
- Step 6 Bake 16 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool pan on a rack for 5 minutes, turn pan onto the rack and drop cakelets out. Let cool completely before frosting if you wish.
I hope you get the chance to try this recipe and please let me know your thoughts!
All 4 One Home