Today I thought it would be fun to share with you my powder bathroom renovation. I was able to complete this remodel in around $250. I only paid for paint, drywall mud, and supplies. I did all of the wallpaper removal, drywall repairs, and painting myself, while my husband helped me with the plumbing and electrical.
I know everyone has their own personal style and design preferences, and I do realize wallpaper is making a huge comeback and is trending now. While there are so many amazing and beautiful wallpapers out there, the black and white baroque patterned was way too busy for my liking, along with the black painted walls were too dark and depressing. I really wanted to freshen up the space, and make it a bright and cheerful place for my family and guests to “visit”, and I did not want to spend a whole lot of money doing so.
The first step I took was to peek behind the toilet to see how difficult the wallpaper removal will be, “easy enough” I told myself, as the paper pealed up without a struggle. Because I had committed to the first pull, there was no turning back. I realized this project was going to be a bit more involved than just pulling it straight off the wall, so I decided to turn to our trusty YouTube channels and started researching. Fortunately, there is an abundance of information on the internet, so it wasn’t difficult for me to find several step-by-step tutorials that were extremely helpful.
In addition to the worldwide web, I went to my local hardware store and started a conversation with an amazing salesman who basically gave me advice on how to resurface my drywall after the wallpaper was removed. Without his knowledge and help, I don’t think my walls would have turned out as well as they did.
As you can see in the before photos below, we had the black and white wallpaper, along with a black scroll mirror, crystal chandeliers with black shades, and a black and silver chair rail that was not installed properly. Below the chair rail, the walls were painted black as well, probably to break up the busy wallpaper.
After I removed the wallpaper, unfortunately, I had a lot of drywall that needed repair. It took me several days of sanding, mudding, sanding again, priming, and painting before we were able to complete the finishing touches.
I have to say, this was definitely the most challenging room renovation I have ever done, and probably one of the most rewarding ones as well. I love how much larger this room feels, how fresh it feels, and I don’t feel dizzy anymore when I enter the room.
The paint color I chose Sherwin Williams Tradewinds SW6218. We did replace the vanity mirror, and we kept the crystal light fixtures with the black shades. I feel the light fixtures are now more of a focal element vs being camouflaged in the busy wallpaper pattern. The artwork we have is from a talented artist, Kelsey Beckett. A few simple accessories like the candle from Ignite by J. Michael Scott to finish the room off.
You don’t have to pay a lot to change the feel of a room. Just a bit of determination, know-how, and good paint choices can completely transform a room from drab to fab. I hope this post inspires you to take on a room that you are not completely satisfied with and transform it into a space you love.
Thanks for stopping by!
All 4 One Home